Hi Boys and Girls,
If you need clarification with absolutely anything please just email your class teacher during the hours of 7:25am- 2pm.
We are ready to get Zoom up and running and will send out details shortly on how to log in, how to join a live chat session with your teacher and the times these will take place.
5I pfyfe@ac.isb.edu.bn
5S freekie-evans@ac.isb.edu.bn
5B ssmith@ac.isb.edu.bn
5T tgreen@ac.isb.edu.bn
Maths
Mental Starter - Brain Basher
See if you can solve the following puzzle. You should spend no longer than 5 minutes trying to solve it. The answer will be revealed in tomorrows starter.
Maths
Please watch the following video by clicking on the link below. This will take you through and remind you of the steps needed when carrying out a multi digit addition. Once you have completed this click on the myimaths.com link below and carry out the lesson on addition. You will need to complete each number on the left hand side of the screen carrying out each task. I have put in a reminder of the school login details for myimaths.com below. You will not need to access your own portal.
Username: ISOB
Password: ISB123
myimaths.com-lesson/adding-in-columns
Independent Work
Please think carefully about your starting point and what works for you individually. If you feel you have mastery of the first task move directly into the second or third as you would normally do in the groups you work in daily in maths.
English
This term our focus is Diary writing. To start this off, please read Wilbur’s Diary extract and complete ‘Never Heard the Word’ vocabulary grid. You have completed these grids before as part of our Poetry unit.
Dear Diary,
You would not believe the day I have had! It has been like a yo-yo.
It began like any ordinary day. Waking from my slumber, I trotted over to my wooden trough filled with juicy grub and tucked in to my delicious breakfast. Overjoyed, my face lit up when I realised there were some potato skins in there (My favourite)!
Once I finished, I wandered aimlessly around the pigpen. Bored out of my mind, I thought I would talk to the goose. She couldn’t play; however, she did say, “there’s a broken fence panel.” As I had nothing else to do, I went to investigate. I shoved the loose panel with my snout. I stepped through the fence. Freedom! Cautiously, I started to explore. I spotted a large orchard in the distance, which was filled with colourful apples.
Mrs Zuckerman spotted me with her beady eyes and hollered to Mr Z “The pigs out of the sty!” With that, I took off like a rocket. With my heart beating like a drum, I sprinted as fast as I could. The stupid dog with the floppy ears, tried to take a chunk out of me! However, I managed to avoid him. Seeing that I was flustered the goose started barking orders “down the path!” She spoke so quickly I couldn’t understand what she was saying! I was trapped.
I followed them back in to the pen. Once there, I nuzzled into my fresh straw and rested. My day was rather chaotic, but it won’t be happening again because Lurvy nailed the fence shut. I’ll write again tomorrow.
Wilbur.
Topic
Watch The Phases of the Moon YouTube clip below. You will need to record some notes as you watch the clip to help you with your independent task. Once you have completed watching the video create a PowerPoint/Word/Poster of the 8 different phases. This task will cover the next two sessions in topic.
https://vimeo.com/64563198 - This is an additional video to help your understanding.
Spelling Y5 – Week 1 Term 3 Space
Spelling
Below are the group words for the week. Please follow the steps below for each day.
Monday - Record down your group words including the rule - If you are unsure please email your teacher and they will let you know your group.
Tuesday - Classify your group words into the following - noun, verb, adverb and adjective
Wednesday - Choose 5 of your list words and write 5 sentences that show meaning.
Thursday - Practice learning your words using say, cover, write, check
Friday - Get a parent or sibling to test you on your 10 words.
Remember to continue discussing the topic and essential words at home.
Black
|
Purple
|
Orange
|
Green
|
Rule: Identify and sort words making
longer words as an aid to spelling Y5 high frequency words
|
Rule: To explore the occurrence of the
letter “k” in words at the beginning, middle and the end.
|
Rule: To spell unstressed vowels in
polysyllabic words, e.g. company, portable poisonous, interest etc.
|
Rule: The prefix ‘bi’ means two or
twice.
Use the prefix ‘bi’ to show its meaning
|
That► That’s
Then ►
Earthen
When ►
Want ►
What ►
Where ►
Your ►
Friend ►
Them ►
|
Kick
Kitten
Kennel
Broken
Tickle
Stricken
Cackle
Wrinkle
Lurk
Walk
|
Abominable
Original
Definite
Animal
Boundary
Category
Poisonous
Centre
Company
Easily
|
Biceps
Bicycle
Bifocals
Bilingual
Biped
Biplane
Bisect
Bi_________
Bi_________
Bi_________
|
Topic
Words:
Moon
|
Orbit
|
Phase
|
Lunar
|
Atmosphere
|
Essential Words
Identity
|
Category
|
Definite
|
Community
|
Occur
|
Boy and Girls, please remember to continue with your TTRS as well as the usual 20 minutes of reading every day. We look forward to seeing you all in the next couple of days using zoom.
Regards,
Year 5 Teachers
